In Calgary, referee assigning is handled by a referee assignor. The assignor manages referee assigning all Ringette Calgary league games and can also arrange referees for exhibition games and will appoint a head referee to handle your tournament requirements. All requests for referees MUST be in writing.
- League games will be given priority over assigning exhibition games; however the assignor will make every reasonable attempt to fill them. Referees are assigned to exhibition games on an availability basis and there is no guarantee that your requirements can be met - especially on short notice.
- Requests for referees for exhibition games MUST be in writing using the Book Refs form, and must be received at least 72 hours before the game. (Higher level games (U16 and above) should provide more notice if possible, as the number of officials available for higher level games is limited).
- When completing the form, it is important that you know the name of your opponent’s team so that the game is scheduled appropriately, stating “NW U14B” is insufficient since there is more than one team. Please use the name used on the website and not the coach’s name.
- You will receive a response regarding a referee request within 24 hours during the week and by Monday if a request is made on the weekend. If you do not, please try sending the request again or contacting the assignor directly by e-mail. You can also check your team schedule online to see if the game has been posted. All exhibition games should show up online once processed. Confirmation of officials for an exhibition game request will be confirmed within 24 hours of the requested game or as soon as officials have been confirmed. Note that the monthly schedule for officials is done on the 20-25th of every month, any exhibition game requests made before the scheduling period can pretty much be guaranteed officials, otherwise we are often looking for refs up until the last moment.
- If you need to cancel an exhibition game, contact the referee assignor as soon as possible. Any games that are cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice, the home team will still be responsible for paying the officiating fees.
- Cost of referees for exhibition games is the responsibility of the teams and are to be paid directly to the Officials, in advance of the game start.